Mention Koh Samui, and one immediately conjures up postcard-pretty images of the beach – white sand beaches, sparkling waters and swaying palms. Naturally, you’ll find numerous dining venues dotted along the coast – from casual eateries, to stylish beach clubs and upscale restaurants. Yet there’s more to the Samui’s dining scene, including French bakeries, Japanese restaurants and unassuming haunts dishing up some of the tastiest Thai food on the island – and here’s our comprehensive dining guide to help you find the best restaurants in Koh Samui!
Eating in North Samui
Villa vacationers have plenty to choose from when dining in North Samui; the region boasts a lively, family-friendly vibe, with dining options ranging from seafood restaurants and healthy cafes, to fine dining venues, beach clubs and more. These venues are easily accessible and located just a five to 15 minutes’ drive from your villa.
- Bang Po Seafood Takho – This beachside restaurant is well-known for its fresh seafood dishes. The setting is casual and unfussy, the vibes are relaxed, and the menu is extensive. Choose from classics like the crab curry, stir-fried clams and steamed seabass, to exotic options like fried sea anemone curry or wasp larvae with coconut milk. 56/4 Moo 6, Mae Nam, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 420 010.
- The White Pearl Beach Club – The White Pearl Beach club offers a family-friendly setting, multiple dining spaces (there’s an indoor dining area, beachside bar, terrace and alfresco dining section) and fun events like beach barbecues. It’s located along a quiet stretch of beach too – just perfect if you want respite away from the tourist crowds. 76/14 Moo 6, Bang Por, Koh Samui, p. +66 91 719 2415. Open Mon – Sat 10am – 9pm, Sun 12pm – 9pm.
See our villas in Bang Po.
- The Farmer Restaurant and Bar – Meals at The Farmer Restaurant and Bar come with sweeping views out to the rice fields. The menu features a range of Thai fusion dishes and international fare. Favourites include the massaman lamb shank, crispy duck and tom kha gai. 1/26 Moo 4 Maenam, p. +66 77 447 222. Open 12pm – 10.30pm.
- Kobori Japanese Restaurant – Step into Kobori, and you’ll immediately feel welcomed thanks to the warm hospitality of the owner and the staff. The venue never fails to draw in a crowd with its fresh, quality Japanese fare. 183/4 Moo1, Maenam, Koh Samui, p. +66 83 174 6530. Open 12pm – 3pm, 5pm – 11pm daily.
- PASSA Restaurant – PASSA, a fine dining venue at the Khwan Beach Resort checks off all the right boxes: the wood-clad interiors are stunning, the menu features scrumptious Thai fusion food, there’s a pool bar to lounge at and traditional Thai dance and live music performances are held regularly. Khwan Beach Resort, 67/61 Moo 1 Mae Nam Beach. Koh Samui. Open 7am – 10.30pm daily.
- WOOBAR – Chic decor, elegant ambience, hilltop vistas, chill out music – WOOBAR is the place to be for stylish vacationers in Samui. Come in the evenings to take in the dramatic sunset scenery, as you sip a signature cocktail and munch on delectable nibbles. 4/1 Moo 1 Maenam, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 915 999. Open 11am – 12am daily.
Related: Not sure which villa to pick? Here are the 5 best villas in Koh Samui!
- L’italiano – Italian restaurants are aplenty in Samui, but L’italiano stands out with its tasty fare, cosy setting and personable service. Take your pick from a wide-ranging menu featuring mains like wagyu beef and pasta, a good selection of Italian wines and desserts. 34/1 Moo 1 Fisherman Village, Bophut, Koh Samui, p. +66 86 080 7032. Open Tue – Sun 6pm – 10.30pm.
- Salefino – Salefino’s breezy, feet-in-the-sand setting offers breathtaking views out to the sea. From the entrée to dessert, you’ll find that each and every item on the menu is wonderfully prepared. Be sure to round out your meal with the homemade limoncello. 4171, Bophut, Koh Samui, +66 91 825 2190. Open Tue – Fri 1pm – 3pm, 6pm – 10pm. Mon & Sat 6pm – 10pm. Closed on Sun.
- La Côte de Bœuf Koh Samui – La Côte de Bœuf Koh Samui is a great option if you’re in Bophut, and are in the mood for authentic French fare. The setting is warm and welcoming, as is the service. 30/26 Moo 4, Bang Rak, Bophut, Koh Samui, p. +66 98 990 0217. Open Thu – Tue 5pm – 11.30pm. Closed on Wed.
See our villas in Bophut.
- Pepenero – Pepenero is a family-run, dinner-only venue that dishes out excellent Italian fare. Recommended items include the homemade gnocchi, grilled tomatoes and ‘nduja sausage, Parma ham with mozzarella and more. 4/5 Moo 1, Maenam, Koh Samui, +66 77 963 353. Open 6pm – 10pm daily.
- Dining on the Rocks – Date nights, anniversaries, birthdays and celebratory dinners are best enjoyed at Dining on the Rocks. It’s the signature restaurant at the luxurious Six Senses Samui, and it’s a venue that gets everything right. Diners will enjoy the impeccable fusion food, attentive service and prime waterfront setting. 9/10 Moo 5, Baan Plai Laem, Bophut, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 245 678.
- Aroma Boutique Cafe – Aroma is a great place to stop over for a coffee break when you’re sightseeing in Samui. Settle into the plush velvet sofas, and enjoy the cafe’s selection of paninis, salads, desserts and coffee. 24/53 Moo 5, Choeng Mon, Bophut, Koh Samui, p. +66 93 612 3258. Open 9am – 10pm daily.
See our villas in Choeng Mon.
Eating in South Samui
Compared to the other regions of the island, South Samui is quieter and laid back – so you won’t find many dining venues around. Your best dining options are in Thong Krut, but if you’re looking for a change of scenery, you’re just a 15 minutes’ drive to Taling Ngam or 25 minutes’ drive from Lamai.
- Sweet Sisters Cafe – Diners come to Sweet Sisters Cafe for its cosy interiors, relaxed ambience and wholesome fare, and it’s our go-to spot for green smoothies, fresh juices and Thai dishes that are given a healthy twist. There’s dairy and gluten-free food to cater to travellers with dietary restrictions too. Baan Bang Kao intersection (at routes 4173 & 4170 corner), p. +66 86 470 8631. Open 9am – 9pm daily.
- Nuch’s Green Ta’lay Restaurant – Savour authentic Thai dishes in a relaxed, homey setting. Recommended items include the green curry, papaya salad, fried fish in tamarind sauce and panang duck curry. 31/4 Moo 5, Thong Krut, Koh Samui, p. +66 87 887 9956. Open Tue – Sun 3pm – 10pm. Closed on Mon.
- Hemingway’s on the Beach – Hemingway’s on the Beach wins diners over with its rustic decor, beachfront setting and delicious Thai staples. We loved the seafood curries, pineapple fried rice and chicken with cashew nuts, but there’s lots more on the menu to choose from (including a selection of Western dishes). Unit 2. 79/1 Moo 5 Road, 4170, Ban Thong Krut, Koh Samui, p. +66 61 178 5550. Open Mon – Sat 10am – 8pm. Closed on Sun.
- The Hideaway Pub & Restaurant – Chill out with a cold beer, take in the ocean views and take your pick from an extensive selection of Thai and Western fare. Do note that the restaurant is open only during the day, and are closed in the evenings. 58/3, Thong Krut, Ko Samui, p. +66 93 603 2303. Open Sun – Fri, 11.30am – 6pm.
East Samui is home to Lamai and Chaweng – the most popular towns in Samui. The vibes are vibrant and busy, and the dining options are vast and varied.
- Vitamin Sea Restaurant – Ocean views, beachfront location and well-executed French-Thai fusion fare – it’s impossible not to enjoy a dining experience at Vitamin Sea Restaurant. We’ve enjoyed every single dish we tried – from the smoked duck breast salad, to the Burgundy snails, shrimp carpaccio and croquettes. Moo 1, Tambon Maret, Koh Samui, p. +66 99 045 1039. Open Mon – Sat 11am – 12am. Closed on Sun.
- The Fisherman’s Outlet – The Fisherman’s Outlet is a great option for casual, relaxed dining. Come for the fresh seafood and tasty Thai staples, served in generous portions. Green curry, shrimp cakes, pad thai, fried snapper – we’ve tried them all, and would give two thumbs up to the restaurant. Laem-set Road, Maret, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 418 435. Open 8am – 10pm daily.
Related: Things to do in Koh Samui: 10 Activities to Keep Your Itinerary Busy
- Tree Tops Sky Dining & Bar – Dining up in an open-air treehouse at Tree Tops is an unforgettable experience: it feels incredibly private and intimate, you’ll enjoy breathtaking over the lush greenery and out to the ocean, and the service is attentive without being intrusive. We also love the venue’s Chinese and Japanese-inspired decor. 92/1 Moo 2, Anantara Lawana Koh Samui Resort, Chaweng, Bophut, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 960 333. Open 6pm – 8.45pm, 9pm – 12am.
- The Larder – You’ll find the tastiest plates of European gourmet fare on Samui at The Larder. We could go on forever about the slow cooked pork belly, fresh tuna tartar or oven-roasted lamb, but it’s not just the food that keeps us coming back. The Larder checks off the right boxes for service, wine selection and ambience too. 9/114 Moo 2, Bophut, Thanon Chaweng-Choeng Mon, Ko Samui, p. +66 77 601 259. Open Mon – Sat, 2pm – 10pm. Closed on Sun.
- Khaw Glong Thai Restaurant – A popular venue that draws in diners with its tasty, MSG-free Thai dishes. 200/12, Moo 2, Chaweng Beach Road, Ko Samui, p. +66 89 154 4560. Open Tue – Sun 3pm – 10pm. Closed on Mon.
See our villas in Chaweng.
- Beach Republic Ocean Club – Made for trendy vacationers, Beach Republic Ocean Club boasts a modern architecture, a seafront infinity pool, great cocktails and DJ sets. Don’t miss out on The Ultimate Sunday Brunch Club – a weekly event featuring a fabulous brunch spread, live music performances and family-friendly entertainment. 176/34 Moo 4, Tambon Maret, Lamai Beach, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 458 100.
- The Bistro at Rocky’s Boutique Resort – The Bistro boasts an elegant ambience and stunning setting; the dining pavilion features hanging lanterns and dark wood furnishings, and there’s poolside alfresco seating. Choose from a selection of scrumptious Thai and Mediterranean fare, which includes dishes like butterfish wrapped in betel leaves, tiger prawns in tamarind and steak au poivre. 438/1 Moo 1, Lamai Beach, Maret, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 332 888.
- The Butcher – As its name suggests, The Butcher is well known for its high-quality meats. Whether you go for the ribs or steaks, you can be assured that it’s going to melt-in-your-mouth tender. 124/307 Lamai Beach Road, Koh Samui p. +66 62 202 8552. Open Mon – Sat 5pm – 11.30pm. Closed on Sun.
Eating in West Samui
West Samui is home to the towns of Nathon, Lipa Noi and Taling Ngam. With its laid back, relaxed vibes, the region appeals to family vacationers and couples seeking a quiet getaway. You’ll find a good selection of dining venues, including gourmet restaurants, beach clubs, cafes and bakeries.
- Hippocampe French Bakery – Hippocampe offers a selection of light cafe fares, such as salads and sandwiches – but the main draw of the venue is its freshly baked pastries and bread. Ang Thong, Ko Samui (near Max Murphy’s Irish Pub at 46/1 Moo 3 Nathon). Open Mon – Sat 6.30am – 7pm. Closed on Sun.
- CoCoRum Bar – CoCoRum has everything a you’d want in a stylish poolside lounge – a gorgeous setting, views out to the beach and a killer cocktail menu. Cocktails are taken seriously here, with a focus on artisanal spirits and fresh, local ingredients. 219 Moo 5, Angthong, Koh Samui, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 243 300. Open 11am – 10pm daily.
- Pla Pla – Located within the Four Seasons Koh Samui, Pla Pla serves up a Mediterranean fare in a beautiful, open-air setting with views out to the sea. 219 Moo 5, Angthong, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 243 000. Open 11am – 10pm daily.
- Aromi Diversi – Diners can look forward to a relaxed, feet-in-the-sand setting, magnificent sunset views and an extensive Italian menu at Aromi Diversi. 13/12, Moo 5, Ang Thong, Koh Samui, p/ +66 95 298 7851. Open 11.30am – 11pm daily.
- La Coppola Italian Restaurant – La Coppola offers Italian dishes and Thai staples in a beachfront venue. The vibes here are friendly and laid back – just perfect for days when you’re in the mood for casual, fuss-free dining by the sea. 30/10 Thong Krut, Koh Samui, p. +66 77 270 815. Open 12pm – 12am daily.
- The Melting Pot – Scrumptious fare, live music and a welcoming ambience keep a stream of diners returning to The Melting Pot. The menu lists a good selection of Belgian, international and Thai dishes, along with wines and cocktails. Be sure to try The Screaming Orgasm, a cocktail made with vodka, triple sec and cream liqueur. 86/3 Moo 5 Thong Krut Ban Taling Ngam, Koh Samui, p. +66 96 864 1564. Open Wed – Mon 11am – 10pm. Closed on Tue.
- Nikki Beach Club – Nikki Beach Club draws in a crowd of stylish beach-goers with its chic setting, spacious loungers and cabanas and vibrant atmosphere. Tuck into a decadent spread – ranging from Wagyu beef sliders to deviled eggs and made-to-order crêpes – at the venue’s weekly Sunday Brunch. 96/3 Moo 2, Lipa Noi, Ko Samui, p. +66 77 914 500. Open 8am – 1am daily.
- Air BAR – Take in uninterrupted ocean vistas as you lounge comfortably in a chic, elegant setting. There are live jazz performances, cocktails made by world-class mixologists, tasty tapas and breathtaking sunsets to enjoy. 295 Moo 3 InterContinental Samui Baan Taling Ngam Resort, Koh Samui, p. +66 2 656 0440. Open 5pm – 12am daily.
- Boy’s Organic Coffee – Boy’s Organic Coffee is a small, tucked-away venue serving up some of the best coffees on the island. The cafe also offers organic kombucha, along with a selection of cakes and desserts. 30/5, Ban Thong krut, Taling Ngam, Koh Samui, p. +66 87 893 9669. Open Mon – Sat 9am – 6pm, Sun 11am – 5pm.
Related: When is the best time to visit Koh Samui for your favourite activities?