If you are concerned about being quarantined on holiday, rejoice. Koh Samui is one of the destinations where you can travel without quarantine, thanks to the Samui Plus SandBox program. The program took effect on July 15, 2021. Read on to find out what you need to know about Samui SandBox.
What is Samui Plus SandBox program
Under the Samui Plus Sandbox, fully vaccinated travellers from any country can fly to Koh Samui and don’t have to undergo a quarantine period. You will need to stay in an SHA+ villa or hotel. You are allow to travel freely in Koh Samui, Koh Phang Ngan or Koh Tao.
Adult travellers (18 years old and above) who are not fully vaccinated will need to quarantine for 10 days.
Children who are below 18 years old travelling with vaccinated parents don’t have to be quarantined but will need to do a COVID-19 test when arriving in Samui.
You can fly directly to Samui or transit via Suvarnabhumi Airport (Bangkok Airport). If you transfer in Bangkok, the flight ticket from Bangkok to Samui (and vice versa) must be issued on the same booking as your international flight. You can only book approved Bangkok-Samui-Bangkok flights (Bangkok Airways Flights: PG5125 and PG5171). Any flight reservations booked separately will not be allowed.
Samui travel requirements
- International travellers can travel from any country to Koh Samui, but you must have stayed in the said country for at least 21 days before going to Samui. If you are a Thai national or a foreign expat returning to Thailand, this condition does not apply.
- You will need to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination. The vaccine must be registered with the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH) or approved by the World Health Organisation (WHO). You must have taken the full dose for at least 14 days before the travel date.
- You will need to stay in a government-approved accommodation (SHA+ hotel or villa).
- Upon arriving at Suvarnabhumi Airport, you must install 2 apps: Samui Health Pass and Mor Chana application.
- Transportation from the airport to your accommodation must be done by approved companies that have received Samui+ badge.
- When you arrive in Koh Samui, you will need to do a RT-PCR test.
- On the first day, you will need to remain in your hotel or villa while waiting for your RT-PCR test result. If the test result is negative, you can travel freely around Koh Samui, Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.
- On day 6-7, you will need to do another test. If the result is negative, you will receive a release form and can travel freely on day 8 (if the duration of your trip is longer than 7 days)
- Accommodation and RT-PCR test charges must be paid fully before entering Thailand.
- You will also need a COVID-19 travel insurance. The coverage must be minimum USD 100,000 and covers the entire duration of your stay.
- Inter-island travels need to be done at selected piers:
- Ko Samui: Lom Phraya Na Phra Lan, Buri Rasa (hotel guests only) and Phu Yai Non
- Ko Phangan: Thong Sala
- Ko Tao: Ban Mae Hat (Sala Vibhavadi)
- Boats to Mu Ko Ang Thong: Na Thon Municipal Pier
- You can change your SHA+ accommodations up to 3 times.
- How to get to Koh Samui?
- Great fun adventures in Koh Samui: 4 must-do activities
- Best restaurants in Koh Samui – 33 Restaurants to Keep You Happy!